Wednesday, July 9, 2014

From Casio to Modular - Pt. 1

I found this crappy casio CTK-150 at a yard sale for $5. No MIDI communication, only an 1/8" amplified audio output, something like 5-selectable volume choices and a mono speaker. The plastic keys are not the worst I have come across, and for $5, that is about all it has going for it. I don't even care about the "twinkle, twinkle little star" sound loop; this thing can do better. Hah




I decided that I would salvage the keys to build into my modular gear (at the time of writing includes only a Pittsburgh LFO2 and a Ninstrument's Synthboy+ with MOD3). The idea was that I could either hook it up to an arduino to read the keys and output to a DAC or op amp to CV and possibly Gate. The first step was finding some decent looking wood. Over the holiday I scavenged through my mom's garage and found a cool shelf probably as old as I am. They really don't make things like they used to since this is made from hard-wood as opposed to particle board like the more affordable ones are. The sides are about 12" long and have a gentle curve, which I couldn't have cut even if I wanted to. (no tools, you see)





Now that I have the side panels, I needed to cut the keyboard to pieces. Removing the sides, buttons and guts to shrink it down and find places to mount to. The keyboard seems to have a nice 90 degree side panel at the exact place I would like, so mounting will be no problem. I think I would also like to add a place for mounting some modules either laying flat or at an angle so that I may make a portable kit of sorts, depending on how much spoace I have protruding from the top of the keys.



Keep reading for an unpdate!

EDIT: Here is part 2:
http://jazz-disassemblies.blogspot.com/2014/07/from-casio-to-modular-pt-2.html

No comments:

Post a Comment