Thursday, November 14, 2013

Jazz-Assembly #2 - Yup, Another ArduinoBoy

Everyone and their mother has made one, so what took me so long? I have built them before, but this time I designed a PCB. What differs between mine and anyone else's is that I used economical parts rather than a pre built Arduino or an Atmega pulled form one with a bootloader.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The entire board is a tiny 5cm x 5cm, MIDI connectors and LEDs included. I also plan on designing an acrylic shell to sell along side them, though anyone may choose to house it in their own enclosure.

Anyhow, this was the first time I had used SMT components besides an IC. Passive components including the resistors and caps were a new item for me to tackle. They did not challenge me as I had hoped. At one point, I blew one away from the pads, but it was all too easy to fix.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Below is a shot for size comparison. You may have noticed in one of the photos that there is a notch on one side with a hole about 2 millimeters from it. This will be used for a zip tie so that I can ensure the cable does not break free. I will upload another picture once I complete that portion.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Below is the wiring that I used to program both the flash and fuse bits. It is the same Bit Bang connection as we used on my version of the Gameboy Programmer board in a previous post. I found that the fuse bits were the most difficult to figure out in the whole project. in the end, I decided just to copy the fuse bits from a Pro Mini 5v/16MHz because that is what configuration I went with here.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Thanks for reading. All credits for the ArduinoBoy go to Trash80 (Timothy Lamb) as can be found here:
https://code.google.com/p/arduinoboy/

No comments:

Post a Comment