Monday, July 15, 2013

SID-Boy v1 Hardware Completion

As per the title of this post, I have completed the board. All of my necessary components are placed, routed and errors have been checked over and or fixed. I have even chosen to decorate the board a little with my QR code just because I can.

Here is the board before I corrected my errors. 855 ERRORS! Many of them were silkscreen errors where the silkscreening was too close to pads and vias. These were easily fixed.
The clearence errors were also fixed very easily by movig the traces a little farther from eachother or from vias and pads.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Here is the board in its entirety, both with and without the ground planes.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Lets view some of the board up close. Here are the two resistors, R4 and R5, that I added as described by the SwinSID website. 47Kohms between PWM and +5v and 47Kohms between PWM and the output which happens to be the Audio-IN pin on the gameboy. The board now contains both methods of audio output so that I may find out which is better.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Here is my logo as I call it. It is just a QR code that I made which leads to this blog. Adding BMPs to a board is very simple. Beside that you can see a small block of text that describes the caps and resistors above. There was limited room next to them.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


My clock. This clock a larger than the clock I had been using before, but is more easily available. Pins 1 and 3 are the two terminals for the oscillation. I may need to change the sizes of caps and resistors depending on the availability of them in the future, but each has plenty of room for change.  I believe these caps were size 0603. Something of note is that the traces of the clock are distant and not of the same length from the MCU. This is something people would call poor design, but the clock speed of 24MHz is not terribly fast and the clock is isolated as much as possible from traces and other devices so that I do not believe any problems will arise.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Here are my power rails. Yes, they are round. Why? Well, because I can. ;)

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The last thing to do would be to write a program that stores SID data to the RAM locations where I have placed the SID in the memory map. I will have to research the SID banks, commands and gameboy programming. Once I have my board printed and populated, I will test a known-working ROM such as mGB, the midi software just so I know the board is routed to the gameboy correctly.


LC the kitten likes my board. How nice of him to approve. :D

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I really really need an oscilloscope so that I can perform extensive testing with this and other projects. I think that it is currently my greatest downfall...

No comments:

Post a Comment